Raising Money For NBIA Research

Help me raise money for NBIA research by making a donation as I run the Boston 2011 Marathon in April, 2011 in Brittany's honor.


Although I have crossed my marathon finishing line, the race isn't over for NBIA! Please consider making a donation...


We are so close to reaching $5000...only $135 to go!


Checks payable to:


NBIA Disorders Association


And can be sent to:

Boston for Brittany

c/o Sandy and Rich Leap
14852 Ashby Oak Ct. Haymarket, VA 20169 (Brittany's Mother and Father).


Funds will go directly to research in hopes of finding a cure. Also, they are 100% tax deductible.

Racing to Find a Cure

Monday, November 1, 2010

If Ye Know These Things, Happy are Ye If Ye Do Them

I had a wonderful experience while with Brittany a few weeks ago. Earlier that morning she had to have a bone scan requiring her to remain completely still. Brittany's Dystonia doesn't allow her to do that. Her mother had to administer a medicine to aide in relaxing her...

When I arrived, she was fast asleep in her chair, looking amazingly peaceful.

After chatting with Sandy and catching up on our week, she headed out to run a few errands. I pulled a chair up next to Brittany as she slept waiting until 11 when it was time to feed her. As I fed her, she stirred just a bit but continued to go in and out of her sleepy state.

When I finished giving her the most deliciously prepared meal (consisting of a rich vanilla like formula), I began talking with her. As I talked (and she was forced to listen to me...love ya Britt), I glanced down at her feet. In her thick cozy socks were two crippled suppenated feet. I remembered her mom telling me how she received the most amazing massage a few days earlier, relaxing Brittany.

I immediately went to my car and grabbed my lovely smelling lotion. I sat in front of Brittany and asked her if I could give her a little foot massage. She lifted her little hand to her right knee, her way of saying yes.

I took off her sock and began to rub her foot. As I did so, I started thinking about our Savior and how he taught his disciples in John 13 about love and serving one another. I envisioned his healing power and that one day, Brittany would be made whole again. Her feet would return to their perfect form, she would walk, she would run, she would be whole.

It gave me pause as I thought about my daughter, the same age, hustling and bustling around the halls of High School. And Brittany sitting here with me (an old mom), listening to me talk about who knows what...hoping she will laugh at my silly jokes.

As I massaged the other foot, she looked so relaxed. She feel back to sleep. I gently put her socks back on...

...and tears came to my eyes. I felt so much love as I sat there looking at this perfect child. And even though her body isn't perfect, she is. As I served her, I felt great love...and joy.

Jesus taught in this same chapter of John (verse 34-35):

"A new commandment I give unto to you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

When we serve our fellow man, we are happy...guaranteed.

I know I was that day.

Please consider donating to the NBIA research fund!

No comments:

Post a Comment